Ausangate Trek of 5 Days is an amazing and less-known trek surrounding the snow-capped Sacred Mountain (“Apu”) of Ausangate (6,372 m/20,900 ft.) that takes you over mountain passes, with awesome mountain scenery, to remote Andean villages, hot springs and turquoise lakes. This is an unforgettable hike recommended for lovers of mountain trekking, who are searching for an intense experience in remote areas with wild nature. Ausangate Trek is in the Top Ten highly Recommended Treks in the World.
this trek can be quite popular in high season but is still challenging - particularly the cold!
can be combined with a day trip to Machu Picchu at the beginning or end of your trip
Any day with two people. We offer affordably priced tours for 2 people so that you can depart any day.
DAY 1: Cusco - Tinki Community - Upis Hot Spring
Very early we leave the city of Cusco in a local transport and drive along the Cusco – Puerto Maldonado highway in the direction of Tinki (3800 m/12,464 ft.). On the way, we pass through Urcos, where we may see a beautiful lagoon with the same name. We continue to Cattca, an agricultural and cattle raising community where we can appreciate the region’s spectacular views. Finally, we cross Ocongate, the capital of the district with the same name and only half an hour away from our destination. After an approximated four hour drive, we arrive in Tinki, where we meet our wranglers and horses. We start our trek with an initial slight climb that crosses through Puna (dry, high area with little vegetation) and arrive at our lunch spot after a three-hour walk. From here we already have beautiful views of the sacred Ausangate peak (6,372 m/20,900 ft.). After lunch, we continue walking for another hour and a half to reach our campsite in Upis at 4,400 m/14,432 ft. From this point, we can appreciate fabulous views of all the snow peaks in the area. We camp and dine directly in front of Ausangate.
DAY 2: Upis - Arapa Pass - Ausangateqocha
After breakfast, we continue our hike ascending for two hours to reach La Arapa Pass (4,850 m/15,908 ft.). We then descend to our lunch spot, crossing an area of falcons and ¨vizcachas¨ or Andean rodents. This area also boasts three beautiful lakes with tones of reds, greens, and turquoises (Pukacocha, HatunPukacocha, and Qomerqocha), as well as, spectacular views of the surrounding snow peaks. After lunch, we continue on a long and slow ascent that will take us, after about two hours, to the second mountain pass, the Abra de Apuchata (4,900 m/16,072 ft.), from where we will descend for another half an hour towards our campsite at Ausangatecocha (4,440 m/14,563 ft.).
DAY 3: Ausangatecocha - Huchuy Phinaya
Today, we depart from camp early to climb for two hours towards the third mountain pass, the Abra de Palomani (5,200 m/17,056 ft.)- this is the highest point of the entire trek. From this location we then descend for another two hours through an area of llamas, alpacas and ¨vizcachas¨ to reach Pampacancha (4,050 m/13,284 ft.). From here we follow an uphill trail until that leads us to our campsite in Q´ampa (4,300 m/14,104 ft.). Along this easy 3-hour climb we may have the chance to spot llamas, alpacas, and maybe even pumas. We will camp and dine in Q’ampa.
DAY 4: Huchuy Phinaya – Q’ampa Pass - Pacchanta
We climb for two hours until we reach Q´ampa Mountain Pass (5,000 m/16,400 ft.), where we may have the chance to spot an Andean deer. From here we descend towards the Qomerqocha lagoon to finally arrive, after an approximately five-hour walk, at Pacchanta (4,100 m/13,448 ft.). Pacchanta is a little community with attractive hot springs where we can enjoy a relaxing dip and where we will camp and spend the night.
DAY 5: Pacchanta - Tinki - Cusco
We leave Pacchanta and start to walk our way back to Tinki, which, will take approximately 2 hours. Once in Tinki, we board a private transport that will take us back to the city of Cusco, with an estimated arrival after nightfall.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Pre-departure briefing
- Collection from your hotel in the morning and transfer in private transportation to Tinki (starting point of the trek)
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent, to allow for higher comfort and a safe keeping of backpacks. Our tents are 3-season, highly maintained to ensure an excellent performance in field. Kailas, Pro aconcagua and Rei 4 Outfitter tents are employed when double accommodation is requested.
- One sleeping pad per person
- 1 Blanket or Liner
- One pillow per person
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- Kitchen tent
- English speaking professional and official tourist guide (2 guides for groups of over 10 people)
- Chef and cooking equipment
- Pack animals (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment) – days 1 to 5
- Pack animals to carry personal gear up to a maximum of 7kg per person (including sleeping pad and sleeping bag) – days 1 to 5
- Accommodation for all our staff
- Meals (04B, 04L, 04D + daily morning snack + daily tea service except last day). Vegetarian or special menus are available upon request at no extra cost
- One textile snack bag per person, to avoid the usage of plastic bags that contaminate our environment
- Filtered boiled water from lunch time on 1st day onwards
- Bio-degradable personal hand soaps
- Bio-degradable dishwashing detergents used by our kitchen staff
- Others: hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes / boiled water to fill in your water bottle every morning and night, and at lunch time if requested with enough time ahead
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Private transport from Tinki to Cusco, including transfer to your hotel in Cusco
- Breakfast on the first day
- Lunch and Dinner on the last day
- Sleeping bag
2017 LAND COST
To book any tour/trek through with Ausangate Peru, we do require a $200 deposit per person.
PayPal does charge us a fee of 7% which we ask the client to cover. This does add $14 to each deposit, so a total of $214.
This taxes is just for deposits, the remaining, you will pay in cash(briefing day) without taxes.
Please, After your deposit send Us, TRANSFER NUMBER to: email@example.com, to confirm your deposit.